What do you know about mental health?
On our journey to improving our mental health, let’s explore what we already know about mental well-being and how we can proactively work towards tangible results.
The profound impact of mental health on every aspect of our lives is more significant than we often realise. It impacts our dietary choices, work habits, and sleep patterns. Good mental health often lays the foundation for constructive thoughts and behaviour. You cannot expect to maintain relationships with your dear ones and sustain self-confidence without working on your mental health. Just as we need to continuously care for a sapling to help it bloom into a big tree, our mental wellness requires constant care and attention and doing this proactively for a good, fulfilling life.
Why Is Good Mental Health Essential for a Fulfilling Life?
Good mental health equips us to handle life’s stressors and challenges with resilience, preventing them from negatively affecting our well-being.
It helps us to see life in a balanced and realistic light, directing us away from overwhelming negativity.
A stable mental state helps us focus better and provides energy and discipline needed to achieve our goals in all areas of life.
It empowers us to set and achieve goals, building a sense of accomplishment and the ability to persevere through setbacks. Good mental health allows us to develop a sense of self-worth, providing the self-motivation necessary to pursue our dreams and aspirations. It also supports us to identify and pursue our passions and interests, which can provide a sense of purpose and meaning, boosting our motivation levels.
Improves Physical Health:
Research shows a strong connection between mental and physical health. Individuals with good mental health are less likely to experience physical problems like heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and depression. It helps develop healthy habits and favourable lifestyle choices, such as maintaining a healthy diet and exercise routine.
Mentally healthy individuals enjoy physical activities and are likelier to maintain active lifestyles.
Brings Clarity and Stability:
Solid mental health facilitates clear thinking, healthy coping mechanisms, and a positive self-image to navigate life’s challenges.
Good mental health provides the emotional, psychological, and social resources to pursue our goals and dreams.
It equips us with communication skills, emotional stability, self-esteem, and emotional support to connect with others and build trust authentically.
Fosters Inner Peace:
Mental wellness enables us to regulate emotions, reason, and develop healthy coping mechanisms, improving emotional stability and inner peace.
Discover Ayurveda’s Holistic Approach
Ayurveda offers a holistic path to good mental health by understanding the qualities of the mind, balancing doshas, incorporating appropriate diet, herbal remedies, yoga, meditation, and lifestyle changes. This ancient science can help you lead a happy and fulfilled life.
Start Your Journey to Mental Wellness
Remember, it takes about 21 days to form a new habit. You can proactively improve your daily routine with determination and an optimistic outlook. Consider consulting an Ayurvedic practitioner to ease your journey.
Ayurveda offers a holistic approach to supporting good mental health, focusing on achieving a balance of mind, body, and spirit. Here are some ways, tools, and techniques from Ayurveda that are used to support and promote mental well-being:
- Ayurveda emphasises a balanced diet that includes fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and wholesome foods. A healthy mind depends on a proper meal. Eating warm, moist and slightly oily foods works on reducing stress.
- Incorporate Ayurvedic herbs like Ashwagandha, Brahmi, and Tulsi, known for their calming and stress-reducing properties.
- Practice mindful eating by enjoying meals, eating peacefully, and avoiding processed or excessively spicy foods.
- Specific yoga poses and regular meditation can help alleviate stress, anxiety, and depression. Regular yoga practice enhances flexibility and reduces physical tension.
- Breathing exercises, like deep abdominal and alternate nostril breathing, can calm the mind and improve focus.
- Daily Routine (Dinacharya) includes adequate sleep, regular exercise, and consistent mealtimes to maintain equilibrium.
- Ayurveda recommends stress-reduction techniques like Abhyanga (self-massage) and panchakarma treatments for spring cleaning of body and mind. Regular self-massage with warm sesame oil can soothe the nervous system and promote relaxation. The Panchakarma detoxification process helps remove accumulated toxins from the body and mind, promoting mental clarity and rejuvenation.
Take guidance from a certified Ayurvedic practitioner who can assess your mental and emotional health and well-being and recommend personalised Ayurvedic approaches.
Neerja consults clients on a diet, and lifestyle routines for physical, mental and emotional hygiene, offering a variety of Ayurvedic detoxification and de-stressing treatments.
She has acquired a deep understanding of human psychology and how emotional and mental hygiene helps reverse the disease process and improve the quality of life.
A wellness chat with Neerja is the perfect way to start your journey with Ayurveda.