Niruha & Anuvasana Basti – therapeutic purification & rejuvenation of the colon
Basti is considered to be the most powerful of the Ayurvedic detoxification and rejuvenation procedures and involves the introduction of medicated liquids into the colon. Basti therapy constitutes the final step of a Panchakarma Treatment Program, which commonly starts with five days of preparatory treatments from the above list, followed by eight days of Bastis. Under certain circumstances, Basti therapy can also be used as a stand-alone treatment.
Benefits of Basti Therapy:
- The colon holds a central role within the body in absorbing nutrients and eliminating wastes. Cleansing the colon directly not only relieves symptoms of disease, it has the capacity to reverse disease by removing its underlying cause (i.e. toxins) and facilitating the absorption of health-promoting nutrients
- Basti therapy is considered to be responsible for 50% of the healing effect of a Panchakarma treatment program. All the other treatments together account for the other 50% and are also required in preparation for Basti therapy.
- The herbs used in Basti therapy can be tailored to address a wide variety of specific symptoms. They can also be used to repair and build tissue and nourish every part of the body.
- Some of the specific conditions in which Basti therapy is indicated include stress, menstrual disorders, neuro-muscular disorders and diseases of the nervous system such as chronic fatigue, depression and insomnia, chronic constipation, lower back pain, sciatica, PMS, endometriosis, infertility and osteoporosis.
- Highly effective in addressing acute skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis as well as rheumatism, gout and arthritis.
- Excellent preventative treatment to avoid toxins that are accumulated in the digestive tract from migrating to other parts of the body. Also an excellent step to prepare the body for pregnancy (for both men and women).
An Ayurvedic detoxification and rejuvenation program takes a minimum of five consecutive days. During this time it is advisable to take time off work to allow you complete rest. The detoxification process can be quite demanding on your system and you may feel tired or emotional as a consequence. It is not advisable to engage in any mentally or physically challenging activities throughout the week, including watching TV, reading books or socialising.